Thursday, May 17, 2012

A Reason Why



I found these in our house today as I was going through the closet. These two letters are one of the greatest memories that I keep in my little heart :)



The story:
I was headed on a 3 day back packing trip in the mountains, AKA: no cell zone and no Jess zone. This was a couple of semesters ago when Jesse and I were dating. It was the first time that we had been apart for more than a day. I had decided that it was going to be awful, but Jess made it one of the best times I've had. He slipped me these two little notes on Sunday evening. One for Monday and one for Tuesday and then Wednesday evening I'd come home. 



I could not WAIT all day to open it. As soon as we reached our destination and set up camp I hiked to a quiet spot to read his letter for Monday. The letter had been sprayed with his cologne so I could almost pretend that he was there with me if I closed my eyes...and then I kissed that little box where he had kissed before. Weird? Maybe. But I loved it :)

The second day came and as soon as camp was set up I ripped open the second letter. I'll never forget the way my heart skipped a beat and how my eyes wandered over one sentenced over and over again. "I'm going to marry you babe...if you'll let me." It was the first time that I really knew I was going to marry him. 


 I'm not 30 years old and we didn't live together for 5 years and we weren't engaged for 3 years...thank goodness...and I have ZERO regrets. I get to grow with my husband and live this life with him by my side longer.I know him and he knows me better than anyone, yet we can spend hours talking and laughing together. I know he's committed and I never have to worry about losing him or finding anyone else. Time and feelings are different for every couple, of course, because it's the biggest decision of anyone's life. For me, it was the easiest decision that I've ever had to make... and the best <3








3 comments:

  1. okay, I almost cried a little bit when I read this post. I am so ridiculously happy for you two! That second letter.... the. best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Allison! I remember I slept in the tent with you and that second night you asked me if I thought we were going to get married and I was like "Uhh..yeah pretty sure" haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chantel...this is so darling! It really touched my heart and soul. You are so very special and you have a wonderful husband that I know will love you and treat you wonderfully! I can't believe that in one year so much has happened for you. It was just last year that we were planning your grad party, talking about your future at college, and having the very last of precious moments with you at home with us! This post is a confirmation that you are where you are suppose to be and with the right person too! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete